Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Garden Mayhem


The out-of-control compost pile.
We have 10 oak trees and 2 pines in our yard.
This is the result of spring cleanup...and because it was before mom gave
us the lawnmower absolutely none of it is chopped/shredded.
We really should just invest in a shredder.

Posted by Picasa
Leaf-Footed Demons (ahem..bugs)
Oh well, our tomatoes are pretty much coming to a close anyways.
Gary was sucking the babies up with the vacumn.
I think he missed a few...like a couple hundred.
Plus the horn worms are here.
(see below)
Ugh..I am really grossed out by tomato bugs.

We put the worms in a bucket of soapy water.
Now they are all bloated.
yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck!

3 Comments:

Blogger r r s said...

Those are on my tomatoes, too! I've been spraying them with insecticidal soap. I thought they were stinkbugs, so I was afraid to squish them. Do they bite?

11:15 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

No, I don't think they bite. They are just gross. I don't even think they harm the older tomatoes too much...lots of white streaks in the flesh where they pierce the flesh and suck the juice out. I guess they make young tomatoes drop.
They are in the same family as stink bugs. They seem to fly off pretty quick so its supposed to be easier just to stop them when they are babies...either with a vacumn or just shaking them off into a bucket of water. The babies are the red and black things hanging out in groups:

http://www.cirrusimage.com/bugs_leaf_footed.htm

Did the insecticidal soap work?

1:53 PM  
Blogger r r s said...

They ran off when I sprayed them. Then it rained, and I guess they came back after the soap washed off. I sprayed them again last night... but I really want them DEAD, not just scared. But if they won't stink or bite, I guess I'll just squish them or drown them.

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home