Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Foliage


My sweet bay tree seems very happy to be out of her pot.
I have carried her all around the country
and she's lived but since I've planted her she's
really flourished.
This picture was after the great rain we had yesterday.

Fatsia.
I wanted a sort of tropical feel to the side of the house,
but I questioned yesterday whether it isn't
starting to look like an overgrown jungle.

Unknown hosta.
A row of these were planted in front of the house by the previous owners.
I killed two of them by trying to move them to the back yard.
Thank god I didn't try to move more.


Elephant Ear 'Black Magic'
Not looking too black.
I wonder if its because it now has to hide under the angel trumpet?
Anyways it almost disapears in this spot
so I'm trying to find a place it can shine.

Amy Azalea with new leaves.
Underneath are her leaves
that had what I believed were spider mites,
but might have been azalea lace bugs.
Either way a couple of applications of soapy water
seemed to stop the spread and brought out pretty new leaves.

This bush, I don't know what it is.
I see them all the time in Lowes or in people's yards
but I never really stopped to find out what it was.
I like how someone trimmed it into a tree form though.
It gets pretty white drooping flowers on it,
but you can hardly see them through the verigated leaves.

New leaves from our oak trees.
I believe they are laurel oaks.


6 Comments:

Blogger r r s said...

I love elephant ears! If my husband ever builds the pond he keeps promising, I'm going to make sure there are some elephant ears around it. Do they need more sun or shade?

4:13 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I have this one in one of my most sunniest spots...meaning it only gets early sun. When it was small the ears were a lot more purple, but the angel trumpet next to it was a lot smaller too. Suprising to me, plants actually grow and it is now hidden behind the mexican bush sage and under the Brugmansia, so it can't be getting much sun. It still looks really healthy though. Its wilted on a couple of days but as soon as you give it water it bounces right back.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Is the sweet bay tree a kind of magnolia, or is it like the bay leaves you use for cooking? Please send some of that rain this way - we're in desperate need of it!

Amy, I think the variegated shrub is a kind of Ligustrum, or variegated privet. I have some planted by our previous owners, too.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Memory Lane said...

'Elephant Ears' looks like my favorite Taro...the variegated shrub might be a hybrid bougainvillea if it flowers red...i love hostas but too bad my Dad can't grow them since my parent's place hit the equatorial line-too hot for them!

11:31 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Wow! That's what it is!
Variegated Chinese Privet or
Ligustrum sinensis
'Variegata'.
(I was wondering what a privet was too.) Thanks!

The bay is the kind used for cooking.

I thought Texas has been getting all the rain? It always looks like its headed this way, but it stops at Louisiana and never moves.

8:50 AM  
Blogger r r s said...

All of the areas surrounding Austin are getting rain, but we're not. It has looked like it was going to rain for the last few days, but all we got was a 5-minute sprinkle. No good.

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home