Sunday, May 20, 2007

My Shade turns to Full Sun

Last weekend my neighbor decided that it was too much work to
clean up after the huge magnolia tree in his side yard.
So he cut it down.

This tree just happened to shade most of the east side of my house.
I now have a beautiful view of his house,
and a full sun garden.
(And since we are now getting into some serious heat
I can't wait to see the power bill)


Good thing I held off on really planting any thing in this spot.
There is a tiny verigated hydrangea that
looks like its getting burnt leaves already.
Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

Blogger r r s said...

Well, I guess it could be fun to re-work that area. I can't imagine cutting down my magnolia (even if it is messy), but "to each his own..."

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neighbors can be such a trial when they don't consider all the consequences of their actions. Everyone seems to live in their own little domain forgetting their place in the larger community.

10:08 AM  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Oh my goodness, Amy - my sympathies. This happened to one of the Divas of the Dirt, too. She spent a few years getting a shade garden established, only to have her neighbors cut down the tree.

It would have been nice to have some warning but as R Sorrell says, you might have fun redoing the area ... for now, how about one of those temporary teepees with a fast growing Hyacinth Bean?

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm always amazed by people who get annoyed about the messes made by shade trees--i.e., leaf drop in fall, pollen in spring. Seems a small price to pay for a lovely tree and some shade, and this applies to neighbors' trees as well as one's own.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of Southern magnolias on a small lot. They really need some room to do their thing.

At any rate, a sun garden can be pretty fun. Maybe you've been wanting to put in some salvias, or a vegetable garden? When life hands you lemons . . . right?

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good words.

1:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home