Friday, September 01, 2006

Fall


Ack! What are these things!
They reminded me of tomato horn-worms the
way they almost completely stripped my
waterfall japanese maple.
There are a couple of leaves left
so hopefully it will bounce back.
I dont think that it has even gotten any new
leaves since I planted it this late spring.
How many years is it going to take to bounce back from this?!?

Back to the topic.
Its 71 degrees out right now
and it feels downright chilly.
Fall is on its way?
My mexican bush sage (Salvia leucantha) is starting to bloom.

I thought I read that the angel trumpet behind it
would be blooming at the same time in the fall,
but I don't notice any blooms forming.
I also noticed one in Mobile last month still blooming
so I'm not sure what the deal is.

Malvaviscus drummondii gettting fruit.

white turns to red

Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do they look like this? (you have to scroll down the page a bit). These caterpillars attacked my roses. I think they're Oligocentra semirufescens or Oligocentra lignicolor.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I was about to agree with you but the back end is off-white instead of green. I found Schizura ipomoeae on bugguide.com and it seems to look a lot more like it.


link

2:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your right. Mine's slightly different. I had to look through other photos I took. Schizura ipomoeae has a second, somewhat smaller hump, on the fifth abdominal segment. In contrast, mine has even smaller humps on the fourth and fifth.

Mine has a stripe running down the top of the lime green thoracic segments which doesn't appear to be on yours (can't tell for sure because of the angle).

I'd never notice this much detail if it weren't for photographs.

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops. More investigation reveals the stripe. Yep. I think you're right...mine is also Schizura ipomoeae.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

op..I forgot to mention...it wasn't your picture that I was looking at when I said the back end was green!

Its amazing that there are catepillars that look so alike but are completely different. I guess there are billions of insects....but no body told me most of them would end up eating the plants in my back yard! :)

7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home