Sunday, September 10, 2006

Blooms

Something has definitely changed.
You can see it in certain trees.
Its not showy reds or yellows or anything,
but a kind of yellowish hue.
Its dogwoods and somekind of huge maples
and a bunch of other trees
that I haven't a clue what they are.
I don't ever remember noticing this change before.
The best thing about having my own garden so
far has been that I feel more in touch
with mother nature.
But this post isn't about the subtleties of "fall" or
"late summer" or whatever this new season is.


Its about the blooms around the yard,
like this new hidden ginger I bought.
Which I felt good about buying because my
luna moth ginger is about to bloom.

Not only that I'm getting a new one!

My tulip tree is confused again.

And once again I think I've messed up on a hibiscus.

I don't know why I keep getting these things.

I don't have a magnolia tree and this isn't a bloom,
but my neighbor has one and these things
are all over the ground right now.

The hydrangeas are turning brown.
Seems appropriate for "fall/late summer."
Posted by Picasa

7 Comments:

Blogger Annie in Austin said...

I've read about Hidden Ginger in the Passalong Plants book but haven't run into any around here. It's pretty cool looking.

The red-berried thing on the ground is a seed cone from your neighbors' evergreen magnolia. I've seen them used in crafts, like dried arrangements or at Christmas.

Actually Amy, I think you do have a Magnolia. Tulip tree is a southern nickname for Magnolia soulangea, also called Saucer Magnolia. Does yours lose its leaves in winter and usually have flowers in spring?

People from other parts of the country will be looking for a yellow flower when you say "Tulip Tree", becase that nickname is also used for Liriodendron tulipifera, the Tulip poplar. This confused me when I first came to TX.

Annie

11:30 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

You're right,
I do have a magnolia and I didn't
even know it!

10:53 AM  
Blogger r r s said...

We killed a saucer magnolia/ tulip tree last year. It was a pretty big disappointment. I see them around town, so I know they'll grow here.

I keep reading about Gingers, too, but hadn't ever seen one. I think my mother in law has one.

I notice more about nature, too, now that I've taken up an interest in gardening.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Amy, unfortunately you're too far away for easy plant trading, but RSorrell, I can give you a start of the fragrant White Ginger [Hedychium coronarium] if you want to try it.

I don't have a Saucer Magnolia in my own garden, but my neighbors' tree hangs over our fence, so I get to enjoy the flowers like Amy.

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very lovely blog . . . your hydrangea tells us . . . spring will come again.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

annie, I thought that was what I had...but I guess the luna moth ginger isn't fragrant?
Maybe that's why it is just now getting a bloom too?
I'm pretty disappointed.

8:41 AM  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Amy, I don't know - have only seen photos of yours, not the real deal. My Hedychium coronaria is sometimes called "Hawaiian white ginger", but it grows all over the South. I bought a tiny root as a souvenir at the airport in Hawaii back in 2002, and it's done well in Austin, but also doesn't bloom until late summer/early fall for me.

Annie

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home